Principal Engineer/ Scientist
Energetics is a leading U.S. energy and management consultancy, with over 40 years of experience working with government and commercial clients to solve complex energy and technology challenges from inception to deployment and beyond. Our services include strategic planning and technology roadmap development, energy analysis and modeling, strategic outreach and communication, metrics and program evaluation, market and technology impact assessment, and program management for technology deployment. We apply these services across multiple areas of clean energy, including energy efficiency and energy management, manufacturing technologies, renewable energy and hydrogen/fuel cells, advanced transportation, climate resilience and sustainability, critical infrastructure resilience, and grid modernization. Established in 1979, Energetics is headquartered in the Washington DC Metro area, with offices in Maryland, Washington DC, New York, California, and Washington State.
We provide technical support to multiple offices at the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), including the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE), Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability, Office of Fossil Energy, and the Energy Information Administration. Energetics also works with many other government and private sector clients, including the National Institute of Standards and Technology, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, United Nations Industrial Development Organization, New York State Energy Research and Development Authority, the California Energy Commission, major U.S. utilities, national laboratories, trade associations, universities, and commercial manufacturers.
Looking for an opportunity to apply your passion for energy and sustainability? A place where you can make an important contribution in a collaborative, flexible work atmosphere? Energetics is seeking a Principal Engineer/Scientist to work on a variety of activities supporting the DOE EERE, specifically the Advanced Manufacturing Office (AMO). Once Federal government offices fully open, the selected candidate will work primarily onsite at the DOE Headquarters in Washington, DC. In the interim, activities will be conducted via telework or in our Washington, DC office. As part of your work, you’ll gain knowledge about cutting-edge technologies, policies, and trends in industrial energy. Join our team and help turn ideas into real impacts! The Principal Engineer/Scientist will work on national research programs in clean energy, energy efficiency, and decarbonization supporting a diversity of manufacturing sectors.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supporting execution of U.S. government clean energy and industrial decarbonization RD&D programs, especially for advanced manufacturing technologies
- Working closely with EERE AMO program managers and staff in a fast-paced environment onsite at their Washington, DC Headquarters
- Performing market and technology assessments; conducting technical, energy, environmental, and economic benefits analyses
- Synthesizing and analyzing data related to energy technologies, carbon mitigation, and trends
- Synthesizing and analyzing technology R&D project and program information
- Developing and contributing to technical communications (reports, white papers, fact sheets, research summaries, briefings)
- Preparing, reviewing, and analyzing technical reports and assessments
- Providing project management support
- Conducting literature research
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- 5–8 years of work experience in a relevant field (e.g., energy, environment/climate, decarbonization, manufacturing, industrial technology, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science, integrated science and technology, or a related field.
- A Master’s degree can be substituted for 2 years of experience.
- Ability to work onsite at a government facility in Washington, DC, meeting all safety requirements (mandatory COVID vaccination)
- Strong interest in energy efficiency, carbon reduction and mitigation technologies, and clean energy
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; advanced analytical and Excel skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, interpersonal, and written)
- High level of self-motivation
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to excel working on self-managed tasks
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities
- Team player
- Master’s or PhD degree in engineering, science, integrated science and technology, or a related field
- Demonstrated experience in energy analysis or consulting
- Familiarity and experience with advanced manufacturing technologies
- Job Family Operations
- Job Function Researchers
- Pay Type Salary
- Energetics HQ MD, 7075 Samuel Morse Dr, Columbia, Maryland, United States of America